*For the Cookie, you’ll need:
2/3 C. Shortening
2/3 C. Butter, softened
1 1/2 C. White Sugar
1 Tsp. Bourbon Vanilla Extract
Seeds from 1 Vanilla Bean
3 1/2 C. All-Purpose Flour
2 Tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 Tsp. Salt
*For the Buttercream Frosting, you’ll need:
1 stick of Butter, slightly softened
1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 pound Powdered Sugar
5 Tbsp. milk
*For the Decorations, you’ll need:
Bag of large Marshmallows
Decorating Icing (Black, Red, Yellow, Blue, Green)
*For the Cookie:
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together shortening, butter, and sugar. Once mixed, stir in eggs, vanilla extract, and vanilla bean seeds. Then stir in flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix together until dough is mixed together.
6. Roll dough into large balls. Slightly flatten then place onto cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart from each other.
7. Bake 12-14 minutes. Time will depend on the size of your cookies. You will bake until bottom is light brown.
8. Remove from baking sheet and allow to cool before applying frosting.
*For the Frosting:
1. In a large bowl, with a fork, mix together softened butter, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar. Gradually mix in milk with an electric mixer until smooth and stiff.
2. Spread on top of COOLED cookie. Let frosting set before applying decorations… 30 minutes or so.
*For the Decorations:
1. On a microwavable plate, spray a thin amount of cooking spray. Place 1 marshmallow per cookie onto the plate. Do not let them touch. Microwave marshmallows for a few seconds, to create a ‘melting’ look. Be sure to watch the marshmallows! Stop the microwave as soon as you see them start to get puffy. This should be anywhere between 7-15 seconds.
2. Carefully place the marshmallows on top of the frosted cookie and press down slightly. Note: Grab the top of the marshmallow, as the bottom will be somewhat melted!
3.Let marshmallow set for a few minutes before you begin decorating, about 5-10 minutes.
4. Have fun decorating your melted snowman!
Makes Approximately 17 Large-Sized Cookies.