COCONUT CREAM PIE
1 pre-baked 9-inch pie shell
Coconut Cream Pie Filling
2 cups milk
4 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup shredded sweetened or unsweetened coconut
2 tablespoon butter or coconut oil
1 teaspoon coconut extract or vanilla
1 cup whipping cream, whipped
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup of shredded sweetened coconut, toasted.
To toast the coconut, Preheat the oven to 350. Spread the 1/2 cup of the shredded coconut on a baking pan. Toast for 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool.
1. Bake the pie crust according to instructions/recipe, allow to cool completely.
2. Combine the yolks, milk, sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a pan; mix well. While continually stirring, cook slowly over medium low heat until the mixture begins to thicken. Reduce to low and stir in the coconut and butter. Continue to cook and stir until very thick, approximately another 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the coconut extract.
3. Cool the filling approximately 10-15 minutes prior to pouring into the pie shell.
4. Whip the whipping cream over medium speed. Once it begins to thicken, add in the powdered sugar and extracts.
5. Spread the whipped cream over the cooled pie. Sprinkle the toasted coconut over the whipped cream. Serve chilled.