Love Lasagna but not the work? Lasagna Soup fits the bill! Comes together quickly for a satisfying weeknight meal. Serve with a salad and garlic bread.
1 pound ground sausage, or ground beef (I used sausage)
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped (I used some mini red and yellow bell peppers)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 t thyme
1 T brown sugar
4 C chicken broth
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced stewed tomatoes
2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
2 t italian seasoning
1/2 t salt
7 lasagna noodles, broken up (add zucchini instead for a great low carb option)
1 C parmesan cheese, grated
1-2 C mozzarella cheese, grated
1. Into a large soup pot place 1 pound ground sausage, 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped bell pepper, and 3 cloves minced garlic. Cook the mixture over medium high heat until the sausage is browned and the onions are translucent.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of thyme, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, 2 cans stewed tomatoes, 2 cans tomato sauce, 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 4 cups of chicken broth. Bring the soup to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce the heat and let the old girl simmer for about 20 minutes.
3. Find yourself 7 lasagna noodles. Break them up into large chunks and add them to the soup pot. Let the noodles simmer in the pot until they are tender. Should take about 10 minutes.
4. Add 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese to the pot. Give it a nice stir and allow time (a couple of minutes) for the cheese to melt.
5. Remove the pot from the stove. Ladle it into serving bowls and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
This is one of my family’s favorites. If you happen to have any left overs you can add a little extra broth when you warm it up because the noodles really do suck up all the liquid. When I make this for myself I do not add the brown sugar to my portion and I add 2-4 zucchini(depending on size) instead of noodles! This a great low carb option!